Ko wai mātou | About us
Te Kaunihera ā-rohe o Wairau (Marlborough District Council) is a dynamic, progressive organisation which prides itself on the professionalism it brings to managing a wide range of functions. Our vision is that over the next decade, Marlborough will become a globally connected district of progressive, high-value enterprise, known for its quality lifestyle, desirable location and natural environment.
Marlborough is unique for many reasons. The region offers an array of outdoor pursuits in a distinctive and picturesque landscape. With one fifth of the New Zealand coastline in the Marlborough Sounds, the land and sea offer unlimited accessibility for sport and leisure.
Council is a unitary authority responsible for administering a wide range of regulatory functions, powers and duties conferred by Acts of Parliament. Activities within the Marlborough region are required to comply with all statutory provisions so that adverse effects on the environment are avoided, remedied or mitigated and the health and safety of the people of the district is safeguarded. Our aim is to provide the resources required to best ensure that the Marlborough region maintains a high standard of environmental protection and compliance.
Ko ngā kōrero mā tēnei tūrangi | About the role
We are looking for an experienced legal professional to join our Consents and Compliance Group as the Regulatory Oversight Manager. The purpose of this role is to provide oversight, advice, and implementation of the Consent and Compliance group’s legal, and statutory functions. This role will also provide guidance regarding best practice and training to ensure robust, sound and consistent practice, of the group’s regulatory services.
Ko ngā pūmanawa ōu | About you
You are looking for a challenging multi discipline legal role, with no billable hour KPI. Our ideal candidate will have comprehensive knowledge and expertise of relevant Resource Management and Building statues and evolving case law.
You will have:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong mentoring skills, encouraging and motivating others will come naturally to you.
- Excellent communication skills & Interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Experience in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential situations involving the practice of utmost tact, discretion and judgement.
- Well-developed negotiation and conflict resolution skills. This includes the ability to manage difficult discussions with the public and local industry.
- The ability to make rational decisions based on the evidence provided by our investigative processes and your comprehensive knowledge of the relevant statutes and regulations.
- A Practising Certificate as Barrister and Solicitor is preferred.
Ko ngā āhuatanga pai | What we offer
- A workplace that supports flexibility, health and wellbeing.
- An environment where input, initiative and innovation are encouraged.
- A competitive remuneration and benefits package (including life and income protection insurance, health insurance, enhanced leave and superannuation, and relocation support where applicable).
If you’re ready to progress your career with Te Kaunihera ā-rohe o Wairau - tono mai | apply now
Applications close 5.00 pm on 9 October 2022
For further information you are welcome to contact Gina Ferguson (Consents and Compliance Group Manager)
Applying for this role
Please complete and submit the online application form.
Note: a hard copy application form is available on request. For a copy please contact our Customer Service team.
For further information on applying for a position at Marlborough District Council see:
Future correspondence to you will be by email.